Mecha Kaiju Sensō Tai!!!: Shobijin and Mothra
Mothra is an interesting corner case in monster design. First of all, Mothra is actually multiple beings – a series of parents and children (usually mothers and daughters, but occasionally mother and son) who replace each other over the course of several film series. Secondly, the parent and child forms have completely different powers. Third, there’s an argument to be made that Mothra isn’t really an independent character, but rather the Animal Companion of the Shobijin’s animal control power.
The Shobijin (also known as the Little Beauties, the Twin Fairies, the Infant Island priestesses, the Cosmos, and the Elias) are a pair of tiny singing women who accompany Mothra on its adventures. They have a telepathic bond with the kaiju and frequently seem to guide its actions. The Shobijin are usually portrayed as members of a purer, ancient (occasionally pre-human) civilization that’s more in touch with nature. Occasionally, they display super powers of their own outside of their connection to Mothra.
Buying a Size 14 kaiju as an animal companion costs 60 power points (base cost of 2 per level for animal control x (Size +1) x 2 for the Animal Companion modifier) – and that’s before you buy any super powers to add to the base kaiju template. If we assume that Mothra is an aspect of the Shobijin’s powers rather than an independent being, that only gives us another 25 points to build powers (and any extra powers we give the twins themselves).
That raises the question of whether the twins are separate characters or not. Hmm… If we count both Shobijin as separate characters (as certainly seems to be the case with their incarnations in the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy from the late ‘90s), then we can combine their total power points for both their own powers and Mothra (giving us a whopping 170 points to use with the Super Karma rule). Given that Mothra is better known for defensive abilities than combat prowess, that might actually work really well.
Shobijin and Mothra
Novice Cosmic Wild Cards and Kaiju Animal Companion
The twin priestesses of Infant Island are able to communicate with any semi-sentient form of life.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Climbing d6, Fighting d4, Intimidation d4, Notice d8, Persuasion d10, Stealth d8
Charisma: +4; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 2
Hindrances: Gimmick [Major; can only summon Mothra together], Dependent [Major; unhatched Mothra egg], Cautious [Minor], Pacifist [Minor]
Edges: Attractive/Very Attractive
- Ageless (1 each)
- Animal Control (76 each): level 15 (Size 14 animal); Animal Companion, Super Powers (46 points each)
- Shrink (2 each): Permanent (as per damage field)
- Speak Language (2 each): Written Word
- Telepathy (4 each): Switchboard
This god-like, eternally-reborn insect protects not just Infant Island, but also the world.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d12+10, Vigor d6
Skills: Climbing d6 imago/d8 larva, Fighting d8, Flying d8, Notice d6, Persuasion d8, Stealth d6
Charisma: -2; Pace: 24 (Flying Near Light Speed); Parry: 6; Toughness: 39 (10) as imago/49 (20) as larva
Hindrances: Heroic [Major], Dependent [Major; unhatched Mothra egg or entire planet], Cautious [Minor], Pacifist [Minor]
Inherent powers (shared between adult and larval forms)
- Aquatic (2 total)
- Armor (5 total): Heavy Armor
- Attack, Melee (16): bite or claws; 4d6 + d12 + 10; Armor Piercing 10, Focus, Heavy Weapon
- Doesn’t Breathe (2 total)
- Regeneration (7 total): Recovery, Regrowth
- Resistance (4 total): air, cold, fire/heat, and radiation (can survive in space)
- Toughness (10 total)
- Absorption* (11 total): radiation as primary; Energy Master, Reflection, Switchable
- Deflection* (14 total): Protector (2), Switchable
- Flight (23 total): Near Light Speed; Climb 6, Switchable
- Healing* (23 total): Cure, Refresh, Restoration, Resurrection, Switchable
- Stun* (9 total): Area Effect (LBT), Strong, Switchable
- Whirlwind* (8 total): Large Template, Switchable, Twister
- Armor** (12 total): +10 Armor; Switchable
- Burrowing** (5): Pace, Switchable
- Ensnare** (11 total): Area Effect (LBT), Very Strong, Switchable
- Healing** (13 total): Limitation (self only), Resurrection (spins cocoon and reemerges in imago form)
- Super Skill** (3 total): Climbing +1; Switchable
**Mothra’s larval powers do not switch with each other, but rather with Mothra’s imago-form wing-based powers. All of larval Mothra’s powers are in effect at the same time.