Pacific Rim - I am not trying to be contrary

I liked "Pacific Rim" and I urge everyone to rush out and rescue its opening weekend box office...

But...

I watched the goofy late original series Godzilla movies as a kid. I saw "Battle of the Planets" and "Voltron" in their original syndicated runs. I know where del Toro is coming from...

But...

I've also seen "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "Dai Guard." I've seen the awesome '90s Gamera series -- the "Watchmen" of kaiju films -- and the much better cartoon based on the crappy American "Godzilla." Heck, I own the original, death-packed "Gatchaman."

So...

"Pacific Rim" is fun. It looks great. The fight scenes are awesome, the music by Ramin Djawadi is great, and the performances are all above par (except maybe for that guy from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" who has no inside voice). You should really see it on the big screen because it is BIG.

But...

I was hoping for something more human, something...

Smaller...

Comments

Popular Posts